Im still a noob doing research but I can sum up a few lil things about it before u signing up for any Postgraduate courses.. Hope it helps.Those who have an idea to do Masters/ PhD, but do not know how to move on?
1. Finalized which area you are interested in. Im interested on Media Effects or Interpersonal Communication. How about you?
2.You may have a tentative topic. Based on your topic, find key words .
3. Search for journals, read related thesis and refer to chapter 5 (Further research).
4. With reading knowledge, meet a few Profs and senior lecturers and tune their reliable ideas pertaining to the topic. Have you done that?
5. Then, finalized a few issues for the problem statement. What are the issues will be brought to PhD Studies? Have you?
6. Find objectives based on the issues (problem statement). Have you?
7. I have read more than 30 articles and tabulated them and found a gap? Have you?
8. Then, outline your frameworks.
9. Then, consider about the ethical clearance and where I intend to get the data? How to access easily? So, I wrote a letter to a few companies to access the data. How about you?
10. Find research designs, if can try to do a pilot study to find out whether the methodology which you have chosen reliable or not.
11. Then write your research proposal based on your University or Faculty guidelines.